POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correct : Re: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physicallycorrect Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physicallycorrect
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 24 Oct 2007 13:36:27
Message: <471f829b$1@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:

>> How can one group of humans be so stupid? It boggles my mind! I mean,
>> hell, you *know* it's bad when the friggin' expert tells you to use
>> something else...
>
> I dunno. Maybe they think that they are as much experts as the experts.

Perhaps. I *often* wonder what's so damn hard about rocket science...

> There's a much discussed study on incompetency drifting around and it's
> results, while a little scientifically questionable, show that the less you
> know about a subject, the more you believe you know and the less you believe
> other people know. Conversly, the more you know, the less you believe you
> know and the more you believe that others know. It actually makes a bit of
> sense when you think about it.

Wasn't it So Greats who said "The greatest knowledge is in knowing that
you know nothing".

There's a poster on our lab wall that reads "Everything is easy for the
man who doesn't have to actually do it".

> Don't have it handy. Maybe someone has a link.

It's already been posted here several times [in all the years I've been
lurkin here].

> I had a bunch of business people at my desk on friday telling me how to run
> my server. I doubt they'd ever seen a database server in their lives
>
> (full story - I took the server partially offline during lunch for 3 min to
> do an emergency clear of a system cache to prevent a likely repeated 10-15
> min loss of service later in the day. From the way they acted, you'd think
> I'd taken it offline for an hour or 2 at peak business time.)

Yeah, that sounds normal.

If the computers run flawlessly for 3 years, nobody gives a ****. If the
computers develop one tiny flaw, suddenly everybody hates you.
Seriously, running computers is an utterly thankless task, and one I
hope to get out of somebody.